Re: Digital VHF/UHF radios DStar, DMR, or Fusion

Tom Marinello

I like DMR. I've talked to other hams that have said DMR for Technicians is a great introduction to having a General license as you can talk around the world. And you can do that with a radio that costs less than $100.

Personally, I'm a fan of the TYT radios. Latest favorite is the MD-UV380 - VHF, UHF & DMR.

And if you are concerned about the lack of DMR repeaters, buy (or build with a $10 RasPi and other components) a hotspot and connect it to your home wifi, and you've got your own repeater with no restrictions on the talk groups you can connect to.

--
/Tom
K6IGY

Join main@HamRadioHelp.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.