Baofeng group, and a questioin about CHIRP

Donald Hellen

I just started a group on groups.io about Baofeng radios.

It will take a while to get traction, but you got to begin somewhere.

https://groups.io/g/Baofeng

Whether you like Chinese radios or not, these are very popular as
entry-level radios. I would prefer a more easily programmable radio
but for less than $20 for the bare basic models, I don't think there's
much room to complain.

Does anyone here have experience with CHIRP? I ordered a cable
recommended by Baofeng and sold by their outlet on Amazon, the one
with the FTDI chip, which is supposed to be Windows-friendly. I didn't
want to buy one of the sub-$10 ones since so many complain that the
driver doesn't recognize the clone chip based cables.

I actually have the RT Systems cable and disc somewhere but can't
locate it, and I wanted something that I could learn that's free so I
could just lend my cable to a fellow ham, send them a file by email or
Dropbox, and have them learn how to do it on their own (helping them
if they had trouble, of course).

I have the book "Programming Amateur Radios with CHIRP" by Brian
Schell. It only refers to the cables with the Prolific (?) chip, and
the pictures are VERY tiny, but I think it might be helpful. However,
if someone here were available off-list if I needed some help, that
would be great (I Might not need any help though).

Donald -- AD8DY

Ted Wrobel W1GRI

I have used Chirp on a number of radios, always with success with chirp.
Non-FTDI cables can be a big problem, so I don't buy them anymore.
Chirp is pretty easy to learn without any manual if you are familiar with
any spreadsheet-form programmer. Hardest part is finding the right port, and
sometimes finding a compatible radio type.
Always read the radio first and save a backup of the initial configuration.

Ted W1GRI

[...]

M. K.

Chirp works fine, the cable issue will potentially exist no matter which cable is used.
Certain cables will need older drivers installed(I've never needed to do this on several different cables I've used, but it DOES happen).
Chirp is generally easy to use, you should not have much trouble using it.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 11:23 AM Donald Hellen <donhellen@...> wrote:
[...]

https://groups.io/g/ICOM   https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp    https://groups.io/g/Baofeng

M. K.

Chirp works fine, the cable issue will potentially exist no matter which software is used.
[...]

Hi Donald,

Have a FTDI cable from Radioddity, their PC001 FTDI USB Programming Cable
for Baofeng Radioddity Kenwood TYT. Cost about $26, very slow delivery.
Cable works fine on Baofeng, Woxun radios with Chirp. Real FTDI, no driver
issues.

Ted
W1GRI

[...]

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

Donald Hellen

Ted . . .

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:54:56 -0400, "Ted Wrobel W1GRI"
<twrobel@tacticaltech.com> wrote:

Have a FTDI cable from Radioddity, their PC001 FTDI USB Programming Cable
for Baofeng Radioddity Kenwood TYT. Cost about $26, very slow delivery.
Cable works fine on Baofeng, Woxun radios with Chirp. Real FTDI, no driver
issues.
Thanks!

I bought the one from Baofeng on Amazon.com and it, too, has the FTDI
chip. It worked well.

Donald -- AD8DY
Formerly KJ3I

https://groups.io/g/CHIRP