Digital VHF/UHF radios DStar, DMR, or Fusion

I have a DStar radio (Icom 5100) but I'm not a fan of DStar. It's not
easy to set up and if I don't use it for a while, I've forgotten how
to get it working again.

A local ham said DMR is the fastest growing type of digital radio in
the US. I'm thinking of buying an Anytone 868 or 878 radio. I first
want to find out if we're moving toward more DMR repeaters across the
country or not. We have only one such repeater nearby within range.

Donald -- AD8DY
Formerly KJ3I

I think it depends where you are located. Here in Central Florida it has taken off. We have quite a few reperaters in my area.

I am using DMR and I like it. Setting it up isn't intuitive and has a learning curve. But if someone in your area is already using it, they can give you their codeplug and that will help you get on their air much quicker.

73,

--Hank
KB4MTO / TA5ZC

---

On 2020-12-27 19:23, Donald Hellen wrote:
I have a DStar radio (Icom 5100) but I'm not a fan of DStar. It's not
easy to set up and if I don't use it for a while, I've forgotten how
to get it working again.
A local ham said DMR is the fastest growing type of digital radio in
the US. I'm thinking of buying an Anytone 868 or 878 radio. I first
want to find out if we're moving toward more DMR repeaters across the
country or not. We have only one such repeater nearby within range.
Donald -- AD8DY
Formerly KJ3I

I like DMR. I've talked to other hams that have said DMR for Technicians is a great introduction to having a General license as you can talk around the world. And you can do that with a radio that costs less than $100.

Personally, I'm a fan of the TYT radios. Latest favorite is the MD-UV380 - VHF, UHF & DMR.

And if you are concerned about the lack of DMR repeaters, buy (or build with a $10 RasPi and other components) a hotspot and connect it to your home wifi, and you've got your own repeater with no restrictions on the talk groups you can connect to.

--
/Tom
K6IGY