Topics

Gooey Radios and other such stuff

Bill

I have had this problem with a few Ham items and a few not so Ham related.
I have an old Radio Shack HTX-400. Not a big deal or a very useful radio, But...........
The case is dissolving into a gooey mess! It actually still works. Well it makes noise and seems to transmit. Too messy to actually try to hit a repeater. Yuck!

Any ideas what causes this or can it be remedied?

Thanks
73
Bill W4WCS

M. K.

Many solvents will remove this with a bit of "elbow grease".
Naphtha works well, I think I've had success with Isopropyl Alcohol also.
Other things will likely work, just make sure that it won't attack the plastic under the "goo".
Once you get it off, you will end up with hard plastic.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 7:53 PM Bill via groups.io <billnopic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have had this problem with a few Ham items and a few not so Ham related.
I have an old Radio Shack HTX-400. Not a big deal or a very useful radio, But...........
The case is dissolving into a gooey mess! It actually still works. Well it makes noise and seems to transmit. Too messy to actually try to hit a repeater. Yuck!

Any ideas what causes this or can it be remedied?

Thanks
73
Bill W4WCS

M Johnson

Acetone or a similar solvent can cause that.  Have you stored it in a place that may have exposed it to a solvent or the fumes from one?

MJ

AB0HJ

I have had this problem with a few Ham items and a few not so Ham related.
I have an old Radio Shack HTX-400. Not a big deal or a very useful radio, But...........
The case is dissolving into a gooey mess! It actually still works. Well it makes noise and seems to transmit. Too messy to actually try to hit a repeater. Yuck!

Any ideas what causes this or can it be remedied?

Thanks
73
Bill W4WCS

Benton Holzwarth

On 10/31/20 4:53 PM, Bill via groups.io wrote:
The case is dissolving into a gooey mess! It actually still works. Well it makes noise and seems to transmit. Too messy to actually try to hit a repeater. Yuck!

Any ideas what causes this or can it be remedied?

Years ago, I had a can of aerosol desk surface cleaner I'd use on my Formica work surface in my work cube.  Even after being allowed to evaporate for a good, long while it'd still attack the rubber feet on my desk phone.

More recently, the rubber boot over the hatch-lift switch on my wife's SUV has turned gummy.  No idea what might have hit it.

Benton 31oct20
--
NX7O
benton@...

Andy

Deet (the ingredient in most insect repellents) dissolves plastics too.  (Not meaning to suggest using it as a cleaner -- but it is something to avoid when handling anything plastic.)

Andy

M. K.

this is indeed true with some plastics, I remember applying a fairly strong DEET containing product, then grabbing a plastic cased piece of equipment and putting permanent fingerprints on the housing.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 12:07 AM Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:
Deet (the ingredient in most insect repellents) dissolves plastics too.  (Not meaning to suggest using it as a cleaner -- but it is something to avoid when handling anything plastic.)

Andy

KA9QJG

Hello  I hope Everyone is staying  Safe and Healthy   I bought a similar Xcelite  tool kit   like this many years ago at a hamfest very seldom used it set  closed  for a few years ,  I was  going to work on My repeater so I grabbed it and took it with Me  when I opened   it up it smelled so bad  like some drunk  had puked in it a nasty sour smell.   Is there any way to get  rid of the smell

Thanks  73 Don KA9QJG

TCMB100STN Xcelite Tool Case

Bill

It is very old. So it has been in storage and in the car and in my pocket. As far as fumes of any type I would say no.

Thanks for the reply.

On 10/31/2020 8:19 PM, M Johnson wrote:

Acetone or a similar solvent can cause that.  Have you stored it in a place that may have exposed it to a solvent or the fumes from one?

MJ

AB0HJ

I have had this problem with a few Ham items and a few not so Ham related.
I have an old Radio Shack HTX-400. Not a big deal or a very useful radio, But...........
The case is dissolving into a gooey mess! It actually still works. Well it makes noise and seems to transmit. Too messy to actually try to hit a repeater. Yuck!

Any ideas what causes this or can it be remedied?

Thanks
73
Bill W4WCS

Bill

Interesting,  Is it a foreign made car?

On 10/31/2020 9:34 PM, Benton Holzwarth wrote:
On 10/31/20 4:53 PM, Bill via groups.io wrote:
The case is dissolving into a gooey mess! It actually still works. Well it makes noise and seems to transmit. Too messy to actually try to hit a repeater. Yuck!

Any ideas what causes this or can it be remedied?

Years ago, I had a can of aerosol desk surface cleaner I'd use on my Formica work surface in my work cube.  Even after being allowed to evaporate for a good, long while it'd still attack the rubber feet on my desk phone.

More recently, the rubber boot over the hatch-lift switch on my wife's SUV has turned gummy.  No idea what might have hit it.

Benton 31oct20
--
NX7O
benton@...

Bill

Ok, so it could one of many things.

I guess it may end up in the trash now. hihi

On 11/1/2020 12:06 AM, Andy wrote:
Deet (the ingredient in most insect repellents) dissolves plastics too.  (Not meaning to suggest using it as a cleaner -- but it is something to avoid when handling anything plastic.)

Andy

Bill

ouch!

On 11/1/2020 12:15 AM, M. K. wrote:
this is indeed true with some plastics, I remember applying a fairly strong DEET containing product, then grabbing a plastic cased piece of equipment and putting permanent fingerprints on the housing.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 12:07 AM Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:
Deet (the ingredient in most insect repellents) dissolves plastics too.  (Not meaning to suggest using it as a cleaner -- but it is something to avoid when handling anything plastic.)

Andy

Bill

Well my radio has no odor whatsoever.

Guess that is a good think :-)

On 11/1/2020 12:21 AM, KA9QJG wrote:

Hello  I hope Everyone is staying  Safe and Healthy   I bought a similar Xcelite  tool kit   like this many years ago at a hamfest very seldom used it set  closed  for a few years ,  I was  going to work on My repeater so I grabbed it and took it with Me  when I opened   it up it smelled so bad  like some drunk  had puked in it a nasty sour smell.   Is there any way to get  rid of the smell

Thanks  73 Don KA9QJG

TCMB100STN
            Xcelite Tool Case

Bill

ok, thanks.

I am still puzzled. I am thinking the actual radio plastic is being  converted somehow. Not a foreign substance on the plastic. It is very sticky. I am not sure if anything will dissolve it and not the radio plastic.

On 10/31/2020 8:23 PM, M. K. wrote:
[...]

This is a problem with some old tools-I'm pretty sure that the odor can be minimised-a google search will probably help.

Andy

re: the smelly Xcelite tool kit:

Some years ago we bought two new empty toolboxes, one for the household tools, the other for the wife's craft tools.  After some months sitting empty, these brand new plastic toolboxes STANK!

I'm no chemist, but I believe many of the compounds we use undergo continuous reactions over time, or discharge stuff like gas.  I think companies that use them in their products don't bother to consider that.  I suspect that plastics may be "less stable" materials and more likely to do this.

In time (about 5 years), our toolboxes stopped smelling so bad.  I guess they had exuded all the smelly gas and more or less stabilized.

Andy

M. K.

actually, this only happens with a certain form of plastic that has a "rubberized" feel-and your radio did indeed have it.
I'm not fully sure of the cause(although I've seen other mentions of the same problem in the past), but as I posted earlier, I DO know that it can be solved with some cleaning-up.

Benton Holzwarth

On 10/31/20 9:36 PM, Bill via groups.io wrote:

Interesting,  Is it a foreign made car?

On 10/31/2020 9:34 PM, Benton Holzwarth wrote:

More recently, the rubber boot over the hatch-lift switch on my wife's SUV has turned gummy.  No idea what might have hit it.

Benton 31oct20
--
NX7O
benton@...

2008 Lexus.  We first noticed it only about six months ago.

Benton 31oct20
--
NX7O
benton@...

Donald Hellen

MK . . .

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 00:48:22 -0400, "M. K." <ka2mce@gmail.com> wrote:

as I posted earlier, I DO know that it can be solved with some cleaning-up.
Would Goo-Gone or something similar work?

I use it to remove sticky residue left behind when removing tape off
some item.

Donald -- AD8DY
Formerly KJ3I

M. K.

I remember that either goo-gone OR goof-off worked(I forget which one).
I suspect that either one would work.
Basically, the more suitable the solvent, the less rubbing you will need to do remove the "goo"

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 6:51 AM Donald Hellen <donhellen@...> wrote:
MK . . .

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 00:48:22 -0400, "M. K." <ka2mce@...> wrote:

>as I posted earlier, I DO know that it can be solved with some cleaning-up.

Would Goo-Gone or something similar work?

I use it to remove sticky residue left behind when removing tape off
some item.

Donald -- AD8DY
Formerly KJ3I

https://groups.io/g/ICOM   https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp    https://groups.io/g/Baofeng
https://groups.io/g/CHIRP  https://rf-amplifiers.groups.io/g/main

Bill

Thanks I will test it on the battery cover.